I recently stumbled across Jason Good’s 46 Reasons My Three-Year-Old Might Be Freaking Out.
- His socks are on wrong.
- His lip tastes salty.
- His shirt has a tag on it.
- The car seat is weird. . .
(Read the rest of the list on Jason’s blog.)
The first thing I thought when I read the list was how much I wanted to share it with anyone I know who has a preschooler. Because let’s be honest, this is exactly what it’s like to live with a three-year-old.
The next thing I thought was (and I’m not sure why), “I wonder what this list sounds like for the parent of a middle schooler?” Since three-year-olds and eleven-year-olds have a few similarities, I texted a few of my friends who spend a lot of time around middle schoolers, and we pulled together this follow-up list.
35 Reasons My Middle Schooler Might Be Freaking Out
- I woke her up on time.
- Her school won’t let her wear leggings as pants.
- I drive a minivan.
- Zayn left One Direction.
- I don’t know which one Zayn is.
- I asked a question.
- I made her get out of the shower after 30 minutes.
- I didn’t know she doesn’t like pancakes anymore.
- I said I liked her hair today.
- “No one” noticed her hair today.
- Brian forgot their 3-week anniversary.
- Mitchell doesn’t wear socks.
- I volunteered to chaperone the class trip.
- I picked her up where her friends could see me.
- I confiscated her selfie stick.
- I posted a #TBT pic of our family
- Ben sat next to Sarah today.
- I don’t know who Ben or Sarah are.
- I asked about her day.
- I didn’t ask about her day.
- I am embarrassing.
- She and Kelly wore the same shirt today.
- She can’t find the right emoji.
- Jason touched her hand—maybe on purpose.
- I offered to call Jason’s dad to find out.
- I wouldn’t let her eat 24 pizza rolls as a snack.
- I bought the wrong kind of energy drink.
- I got a Snapchat.
- I spoke.
- I wouldn’t let her be a “sexy” anything for Halloween.
- I didn’t think “everyone does it” was a good enough reason.
- They won’t let her take her phone on the fall retreat.
- Someone cropped her out of their Instagram photo.
- I took her phone and made her go outside.
- I am still embarrassing.