I’m still asked on a frequent basis how I keep up with the latest technology or how I keep up with so much information. I normally follow it up with a question to them, “Do you know how to use Google Reader or an RSS feed reader?” Most of the time, the answer is “No” […]
I’m still asked on a frequent basis how I keep up with the latest technology or how I keep up with so much information. I normally follow it up with a question to them, “Do you know how to use Google Reader or an RSS feed reader?” Most of the time, the answer is “No” or “I set that up and have forgotten about it.”
If you answered “No, I don’t know how,” then here is a great video from Google explaining how to set it up and how to use the service.
If you know how to use it then it is time to dust it off and get back to the basics. Sure there are newer services out there and you aren’t prompted by your friends as much as you are on Twitter or Facebook but it is a incredibly powerful tool that should be in your everyday arsenal.
Here are 9 reasons why Google Reader is still important:
- RSS Feeds are still the standard for updating or getting information from services like Facebook, Twitter and many others.
- You can subscribe to whatever content you want and make it customizable. Here’s the Orange Leaders feed if you haven’t subscribed already.
- You don’t have to visit a bunch of sites but instead they come to you when they update.
- Google Reader integrates with great apps like Flipboard on your iPad and MobileRSS on your iPhone.
- Google Alerts are built in so that you are always up-to-date with whatever you want to keep up with, even if it doesn’t happen on your favorite sites.
- You can follow your friends and see what they think is important, or see what they are sharing.
- You can take notes on posts and share those on other services.
- Google Reader gives you a database of your favorite content and makes it searchable.
- It saves you time and makes it super simple to scan through multiple posts and topics at once so that you only read what is important or interesting to you.