A little over a week away from our next Orange Tour stop. Thought we’d recap the MI stop with some notes from Carey Niewhof’s opening talk by a non-blogging friend, Ron Hughey. Initial reactions – • I am old! I think that makes me glad that I am here and not still hanging on to […]
A little over a week away from our next Orange Tour stop. Thought we’d recap the MI stop with some notes from Carey Niewhof’s opening talk by a non-blogging friend, Ron Hughey.
Initial reactions –
• I am old! I think that makes me glad that I am here and not still hanging on to more traditional ways.
• Great to have all of the ping pong balls – I’m a visual learner. I like the whole set. It especially looks good in contrast to the more traditional look of the church. I like the dichotomy/ ancient/future kind of feel.
• Great to come and hear this message in a more “intimate environment” than the conference center in GA
Get ready, the rest of this might be a little like “stream of consciousness” …
Synchronize the Strategy
• How well do you get along with the student pastor at your church? Is there connectedness?
• What is your church doing to help families “win at home”?
Refine the Message
• Focus on what matters most
• Focus on application
• What if nobody could “out community” the church?
Reactivate the family
• If we do “only what can do” we’ll get “only what we can do”
• Church leaders and parents have influence
• Everybody is influenced by family
• No unchurched people are lying awake at night wondering what your weekend message is……lots of people lie awake worrying about their kids
Somewhere along the line you developed a picture of what family should look like. (Stock family)
• Only 23.5% of American families (US Census) live in a “traditional” American family
• If you hold on too tightly to an ideal picture of family you set yourself up to be disillusioned
• Its put too much pressure on your family to live up to an ideal image that does not exist
• You can’t find the stock family anywhere in the Bible (Adam and Eve, Cain and Able, Joseph etc…)
• Carey shared a bunch of non “stock “ family stories
• Maybe God isn’t holding up a perfect picture. Maybe God is writing a bigger story.
“Everybody’s got buttons and no one knows how to push the better than the people you live with”
You have control or influence and at the end of the day all you are left with is influence.
If you surrender and submit your story God says “ I will write something bigger with your life”.
The better picture approach versus The bigger story approach
Many families are terrified to come to your church because they are afraid that you are holding up the Stock family photo.
What picture of family is your church or your ministry holding up?
If you’re leading in the Arizona area, it’s not too late to sign up to hear from Reggie, Carey and Sue live and in-person! Here’s some more information and the link to register today.
Phoenix, AZ | Tuesday, October 26, 2010
Christ’s Church of the Valley
7007 W. Happy Valley Road
Peoria, AZ 85383
Speakers: Reggie Joiner, Carey Nieuwhof, Sue Miller